Monday, July 21, 2008

Is summer a brand?

Everything is considered a brand these days. Why not summer? It has the characteristics of a brand: Brand attributes – heat, long days, short pants, time off. It has a brand's personality – smiling, casual, fun-loving, deeply nostalgic. It has its own sounds (katydids in the afternoon), sights (fireflies at dusk) and smells (sea salt or cattle feed lots, depending on where you live). The only reason that summer would not be considered a brand is this: No one is actively measuring and managing its brand value... There are no brand consultants for summer... No publicists... No logo designers... Summer just happens, and no one is in charge of it... but you. 

Happy summer.

brandsinger

5 comments:

Jay Livingston said...

Maybe nobody is seizing the Summer brand, but as I mentioned in my blog a couple of weeks ago, the News page on the Buy N Large website has this item: Buy N Large To Brand Direction "North."

brandsinger said...

Thanks, Jay. I hope your summer is going according to brand promise. Please send us all the link to your blog entry.

Best, brandsinger

Jay Livingston said...

I was going to give the link to the BuyNLarge website, but the cowards at Disney have apparently dismantled it. I copied a couple of images from it and posted them on my blog here: http://montclairsoci.blogspot.com/2008/07/buy-n-large-online.html

But don't bother clicking on the link. It takes you to the utterly conventional and commercial Disney put up to accompany the film.

Jay Livingston said...

I meant: if you do go to my blog, don't bother clicking on the BuyNLarge link that I posted there.

Jake said...

Actually Coke seems to recognize it's brand value...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2248/2149607932_96318434b1.jpg?v=0