Our friend and brilliant creative designer Jerry Kuyper alerts us to an index of nation brands. Which nation is number one? – the Coke among countries? The Apple of the world’s eye? It’s Singapore, of course! That’s according to East-West Communications' “first ever nation branding index to include all the countries and territories of the world.”
The USA ranks 34th. Here’s the link…
Here’s the problem: This is an index of press mentions. If good things happen chez vous, like cool festivals and warm weather, then your nation ranks high. If you’re a small country like Austria hosting a major sex scandal, then you drop from among the leaders to 147th place.
Let me advise East-West Communications: Media mentions do not equal “brand.” Negative reports (floods, job losses) indicate dramatic events with adverse impact – not a sign of declining brand value. So, please remove the word “brand” from your index. Otherwise, you will have branded yourselves as 100,147th among communications companies that understand the meaning of words.
Where should USA rank? Here was my note to Mr. Kuyper – and his reply.
Let me ask you, Jerry: If someone needed a surgeon, house to live in, jet plane, tomato, university to attend, place to raise your children, T-bone steak or a date for an important court appearance, would anyone in their right mind choose a Singapore thing over an American one? Good luck with that!
Mr. Kuyper’s reply:
I agree this is the best country on earth but...
- People are going to India for surgeries right now.
- A Scottish friend just returned home to have a knee replaced.
- Residential real estate is being bought and sold in Dubai before it can be built.
- Kobe beef is considered the best.
- I wouldn't want to be an innocent in Gitmo.
- The Danes bought our best wind energy companies and now lead the world.
- Most Europeans I know hope and pray their kids go to college in Europe.
- I buy kiwis from NZ and tomatoes from Canada (when their are no local ones).
Okay, well put. You've earned your afternoon of chatting with Europeans and eating brie.